The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Yuck

I just got through with an "initial consultation" with a financial planner from Ameriprise. I'll be the first to admit my finances could use a little TLC. I mean, I would like to retire some day in a manner better than the one I'm accustomed to.

So after the meeting I decided to do a little research on the Web and read all these awful things about Ameriprise (formerly AmEx). So I don't know what to think anymore. I didn't hand them any money today and kind of made it clear that I didn't have the fee right then.

I hate being ignorant of stuff like this. Sometimes, like when I enter a car dealership or mechanics shop, or get lost in the aisles of Home Depot, I wonder if "Single Woman = Sucker" is writ large upon my forehead. It's quite irritating.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Don't worry. I think we all look like suckers to a certain type of salesman...lol. I am completely financially uninformed about most things. I think you'd be better off going out and buying Money magazine or something to get you started--it's not like they have a vested interest in steering you to any particular product or company, so they probably give pretty sound advice. And the $4.95 cover price is a lot cheaper than hiring your own accountant. :D

12:47 PM  
Blogger Matt Brent said...

hey it's Matt Brent from the ole HU. i was asking katrina about you and christy coonts and she gave me your blog address. I have a blogspot too: cccmatt.blogspot.com or you could check the whole myspace thing out, myspace.com/cccmarion. You a sucker? Not that I remember......

1:32 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Katrina- Hmm, that could be some sound advice there. Or just pick up "Investing for Dummies"?

Matt - So good to hear from you! Glad you found me. I'm doing well in Nashville. Christy and her hubby and Steph and Craig live not too far away. Hope all is going well! I had to laugh when I saw the pic of you and your guitar - definitely you! Whatever happened to Matt Branch?

1:58 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Ummm I have some advice if you'd email me Lisa. mjswaim at valornet dot com. Matt & I had no future planning done since we've so far been so focused on the kids. Now we are REALLY getting it together & I'd LOVE to steer you in the "right" direction.;)lol And don't worry-it's not Excel. hahahaha!

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home