The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Friday, July 14, 2006

It's the Little Things that Get You

At lunch today I slid into my hot car and immediately noticed a man's comb sitting on the front passenger seat.
It was a little unsettling, to say the least. I checked the backseat, but it was reassuringly empty.
The only guy to ride in my car recently is my brother, who definitely does not use a comb. And none of my current hot dates use one either. (Just kidding! Just thought I'd get you all excited there for a second...)

So my only conclusion is that it is my grandfather's, or Papa's, as I call him. He passed away in 2002.
You see, when I moved back from Scotland Grandma generously gave me their car as she wasn't really driving it anymore. Every once in a while I will find pieces of him in it - like the Peanut Planter's can in the trunk that contains a candle and matches and has "Emergency Candle" printed carefully across it. Or the Red Carpet Country doormat that lies inexplicably back there as well. Or that Glen Campbell cassette tape I found buried in the console. So perhaps the comb fell out of a visor or something.

I like all these little things that pop up and remind me of him - Godly, tall, hardworking, gentle, and generous. At the risk of sounding too "out there," I like the thought that the comb is sort of a little heavenly "hello" from someone I miss.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

With having lost my dad 5 months ago (wow it doesn't seem that long)
I know EXACTLY what you mean. My mother made up a box for each of my boys & I with some of his "stuff" in it. He always worse suspenders so they each got a pair. They LOVED pulling on them & snapping them. They each got a watch, which they used to love wearing around the house to play.
There are other special things in there, but I think it's so good b/c it'll be stuff they'll recognize. And even though Grayson never knew him HERE on earth, I really have comforted myself many times with the thought that he met my baby before I ever did.
I guess I'm saying I believe in heavenly hello's too.:)

6:35 AM  
Blogger RosieBoo said...

Wow, great post! My Mom will be gone 6 years in September, and I still stumble upon things at the most interesting times. Or, a memory pops back in my head at the perfect time. I love those heavenly blessings! I'm glad you got a little piece of your Papa the other day!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I think its kind of sweet and special. It definitely slows down my day and reminds me to think about what I have and what I've been given.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

What a sweet moment, and you wrote about it so beautifully!

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home