The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

AIC

So Monday nights are what I call my Adventures in Cooking nights because it’s the only night of the week where I come straight home after work. Resisting the temptation to stop at one of the 300 fast food restaurants on the drive home isn’t easy because I’m quite ravenous at that point in the day. Sometimes it’s all I can do to not to rummage around in the glove box and start munching on my car registration papers.

But I digress.

Last night I decided to try to make this:


Looks tasty, huh? That is Broiled Steak Sandwiches with Balsamic Vegetables.

However, I forgot I’ve never really had much experience with the “broil” setting, so a phone call to Mom was in order.

Me: I’m trying to cook dinner.
Mom: That’s great! Good for you!
Me: It requires me to broil steak and I wanted to ask if I’m supposed to leave the oven door open when I’m broiling.
Mom (sounding concerned): No. Some people might leave it open a crack, but not the whole door open.
Me (sound of oven door being hastily closed): Oh, sure. Sure. I was just, um, checking.
Mom: But you do have the steak in a broiler pan, right? So the juices can drip down?
Me: The recipe just said to put it in a foil-lined baking dish. I don’t … have a broiler pan.
Mom: Okay, so it’s in a dish. Okay. Good.
Me: It smells great; I’m just going to turn it right now.
(Sound of crash, yelling, and abrupt disconnection of phone. Mom calls back.)
Me: I burned my knuckle! Call you back!
(Disconnect phone again. Call back 20 minutes later.)
Me: Sorry, I burned my knuckle on the heating element.
Mom: I’m sorry, hon. You okay?
Me: Yes. It hurts.
Mom: Don’t let this put you off cooking, though. You’ll learn. Of course, if you had paid attention when I tried to teach you when you were younger….
Me: Don’t go there.

The result?
I had a steak. That’s it. I was so hungry by the time the meat was done I decided to forgo the rest of my sandwich. It would take too long to make.

My goal next week is to get past the first ingredient.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Shan said...

Bahahaha! Good one :D . I always enjoy watching people cook...but I never enjoy doing it myself. Bleh.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

A noble goal, indeed! Don't worry--all my many years of instruction from my mom don't keep me from burning myself, burning the food, oversalting the dish, and mushifying the vegetables. Cooking can be hard. (I hope the steak was good!)

9:02 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Awww! Way to go to give cooking a shot! Remember, if you need "Pampering" tools to help you with your cooking, you know who to call! :)

Thanks for giving me a good laugh! Hope you're knuckle is better!

4:32 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Aww well, I think that's goal accomplished. But then I'm easy to please. You didn't stop for fast food & only one injury? NICE!:)lololol Hope your knuckle feels better soon.

7:52 AM  
Blogger RosieBoo said...

I completely understand as I only go straight home about one night a week as well. I try and do my cooking adventures on the weekend...and hope for enough leftovers to get me through. But, a good bowl of oatmeal and whole grain toast works great at dinnertime. ;)

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home