The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Last Days of 33

Next Wednesday I will shed the worn out garment of my 33rd year of life and take on number 34. So how have I been spending the last precious days of 33?

Well, mostly by doing online traffic school and attending baby and wedding showers. Not exactly a stellar end to the birthday year, but it’s true. Earlier this summer I received two speeding tickets a couple weeks apart. The shame of it was that it occurred for the same offense, on the same road, at the same time of day, by the same cop.

I no longer drive that way to work. My punishment was to sit in front of my laptop and watch animated clip art and safety instructions read to me for a few hours. As I could read the screen faster than the narrator could say it, I had a lot of down time. I managed to eat my lunch and paint all my nails during the class, plus I scored a 100% on the post-course test. I still have one more to take.

And then there are the four showers I have attended in the past two weeks. It’s like I suddenly was added to the married people’s e-mail list and am getting invited to the “Second Baby” showers – the one’s not in the church but in people’s homes. I’ve enjoyed them as I rarely get a chance to talk with these women without children competing for their time. Many of them used to be in the singles group with me so it’s been great to catch up. But I’m a tad cash poor at the moment.

I knew I had really arrived when I received an e-mail from a group of women at church inviting me to their craft/hobby night. Sadly, I do not have a craft or hobby that I can tote to the fellowship hall, but I really was pleased to be invited. I told my mother about this:

“Hmm, you don’t really have a craft thing, do you? You don’t sew, or scrapbook, or anything like that.”

“No. I mean, my biggest hobby is reading. If I have a free couple of hours, that is what I love to do.”

“Maybe you could take a book, honey, and sit there and read.”

“I think that defeats the purpose of gathering together.”

“Good point.”

I love my mother.

With the school year back in swing, my dance classes began again this week. And I am happy to report that I have now tapped to “My Sharona” by The Knack and “I Love a Rainy Night” by Eddie Rabbitt. My dance teacher is nothing if not diverse in musical taste.

And maybe flying across a dance floor isn’t such a bad way to close out 33.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget: you bought a townhouse this year! Although that was roughly midway through Year 33, that's still a pretty big deal. Maybe for your birthday you should hang pictures on the wall. :)

Have fun dancing into your new year. That's probably the best way to celebrate it.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Ahhh - Now I have a goal for 34!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Happy pre-birthday! I hope it's whatever you want it to be. :)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I would love to see you tap to My Sherona. For some reason, whenever I try to picture tap dancing, the only song that comes to mind is "Tea For Two"...not exactly Eddie Rabbitt!

I love our craft nights--it's mostly scrapbookers, with a few quilters and needleworkers thrown in, but some people come and just work on projects that need doing, like grading papers or balancing their checkbooks or cutting things out for children's Bible classes. It's the being together that's the fun part! (Last time, only four of us showed up and we ended up taking a two hour break to go to Applebee's for drinks and appetizers...)

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home