The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Confessions of an Insomniac

For some reason, I have not been able to sleep for the past three nights. No matter how tired, the minute my head hits the pillow my thoughts begin ping-ponging around until they resemble nothing quite coherent. So for today's post I leave you with the late-night thoughts of my poor, exhausted mind:

Does anyone else think it is tacky that the inflatable children’s slide at that kiddy fair was made to look like the prow of a ship sinking? That it actually had “Titanic” printed on it? A hundred years from now will people make rides out of today’s tragedies?

It’s amazing how customized the menswear department is. They can get a pair of pants and a shirt to their exact measurements – waist, length, arm, neck and chest sizes… Why can’t women’s clothes be like that? Why can’t I buy a dress based on my exact measurements? Oh yeah, now I remember, I can. It’s called “couture,” and I can’t afford it.

I think it’s funny that Patrick has not untied his tie for the past two years. He just keeps loosening it.

I really like my Norah Jones CD.

I can’t believe Christy is pregnant. I’ll bet when I’m pregnant I will be fat all over, not like those cute women who carry a small basketball in front of them but look fashionably slim from the back.

I need to caulk the kitchen.

Have I taken on too much at church? Foreign missions committee, domestic missions committee, inner city learning center, visitation team, and now the financial peace seminar. In the spring I’m supposed to teach second graders on Wednesday nights.

Should I make nametags for the inner city class? Maybe flowers with glitter…

Does the church have a flower punch? I’m not going to sit there and cut out petals all night.

Stupid cat. I wish he’d just leave the cabinet doors alone.

Did I unplug the iron?

Should I drive or fly home for Christmas? I much prefer to fly. It’s going to be really weird if I can’t take my contact lens solution with me. Or lip balm. What if my contacts need to come out? Will I have to wear my glasses? That prescription is so old I won’t be able to see much. Maybe that’s a good thing on the plane.

I wonder how many Weight Watcher’s points are the Jim Nachos at Cancun’s?

Are my corduroy slacks clean? I think I’ll wear them tomorrow.

What’s that noise? What would I use as a weapon if an intruder came in here? My clock radio? I’ll bet I could put the lamp to good use.

Arghh! Stupid cat.

5 Comments:

Blogger lawyerchik said...

Sounds like my every moment - waking or otherwise!! :) Hope you get some sleep soon!!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I love this post!

Christy is pregnant? (Is that the Christy I know? If so, tell her I am so excited for her!)

Get some sleep. Try C-Span.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Katrina- It is indeed the Christy you know; I'll pass your best wishes on.

This weekend I was able to catch up on a few Zzzz's; I'll have to try C-Span next time!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Yeah I think it all stems from women's brains not able to compartmentalize-at least that's what Matt tells ME when I have the same kind of night.:) I play solitaire on the computer until my contacts blur or watch QVC. Puts me right out.

Oh & congrats to Christy-I'm way out of touch, didn't even know she was married!lol

6:44 PM  
Blogger Granna said...

If you teach Financial Peace- you might need to exclude how to pay the water bill!

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home