The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Dirty Business

The first draft of my novel has been sitting silently on my flash drive since the end of May. I’ve been carrying it around in my purse, and every time I open it up I see it glinting up at me, reminding me that it exists, it is here, and it has been waiting.

The problem is, I’m afraid to look at it. I started it in November, and at the end of each writing session I wrote a sentence to myself stating where I thought the story should go in the next writing session. This kept me from reading back over my work, which was vital in outpacing my Inner Critic. Because if I had started re-reading it I think I would have given up on the whole enterprise.

But now… now it is time to roll up my sleeves, grab the trowel, the watering can, and the pruning shears, and start tearing this thing apart.

Wish me sunny days.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

It sounds like editing is going to be a challenge--but you've already done the hard part! You wrote a WHOLE NOVEL!!! That puts you aeons ahead of everyone who's "going to write a book one day", and I know you'll do great. Go, you!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Good luck! You'll do fine-I have every confidence in you.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You all are such an encouragement to me! Thanks so much!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

By the way, I've tagged you to do a meme on my blog entry of June 26th (but only if you feel like it!)

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home