The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Monday, April 30, 2007

C'est Fini

On Saturday I packed up my laptop and hauled it Borders on West End.

Now, the problem with the little café at this Borders is that Vanderbilt University is right behind it, so every college student who actually studies on a Saturday manages to be in there. And that means all the outlets are usually taken. I found one next to a fluffy chair, which wasn’t ideal as it meant typing with the laptop on my actual lap, which causes it to overheat and is not at all comfortable, but I made do.

I got distracted at first by a somewhat handsome guy who was dressed in loose khaki linen pants and a breezy island type of top with rubber flip-flops and carefully tousled hair. The outfit was so clearly designed to look not put together that it was obvious he had labored over the entire combination. I watched him successfully hit on the MBA student sitting next to me. They managed to chat for two hours.

Then I watched three girls from somewhere that was definitely not America greet a friend with curious left-right-left cheek kisses. I counted. Three kisses for each friend. No less, no more. I considered what type of reaction this would generate if I tried it with my own friends and decided they would mostly recoil is shock, surprise, and in one particular case, probably horror.

After considering the state of my nails, whether or not the couple sitting in front of me were really a couple or just study buddies, and whether I had just the right lighting for optimum typing, I dove in.

And folks, I did it. I finally finished a novel. Mind you, this is only the first draft. There are rewrites and revisions to come. But I did it. I didn’t think I had it in me. But lo and behold, it was there.

And I would be remiss if I did not give thanks to my Younger Bro who, three years ago, showed up on my doorstep at midnight with a small black cat and an endless supply of Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVDs. He introduced me to NaNoWriMo and has prodded, and poked, and encouraged, and wouldn’t let it rest.

If it weren’t for him, I would still be sitting here thinking that “some day” I might get serious about writing. Thanks to him I finally threw off the bowlines and headed for the open water.

And I'm so glad I did.

7 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Congrats to you!! This is wonderful! I am so excited for your accomplishment!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

How exciting!!! You are amazing, girl! I'm so proud of you--and I bet Patrick is, too. Now please send me your autograph before you get too busy with book signings and stuff to have time for the little people. ;)

2:57 PM  
Blogger lawyerchik said...

Congratulations!! That's wonderful! You'll have to keep us posted on the publishing progress (and process)!! :)

3:12 PM  
Blogger Mig said...

That is AWESOME!

Congratulations.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Congratulations on the accomplishment.

Hopefully we'll all be picking up a copy of it on the best-seller list soon. :)

8:11 AM  
Blogger Sarah Louise said...

Congrats! I need a brother like that--my novel has been in the works for um, fifteen years...

7:56 PM  
Blogger Brad Blackman said...

Congratulations on writing pages and pages of words that I'm sure are quite exciting with lots of mystery and mayhem. Go enjoy a Buffy marathon!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home