The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Pulling Mussels From the Shell*

A few weeks ago I received a little catalog from a local school inviting me to attend an evening class, and while I wasn’t particularly interested in “Conscious Breathing” or “Zen and the Art of Western Insanity,” they did have one that caught my eye – “Writing Mystery & Suspense.”

Hmmm.

The teacher is Tasha Alexander, whose debut novel, “And Only to Deceive” was published by HarperCollins this fall. I read the book over the weekend, deemed it a good read, and signed up for the class. The course description also suggested bringing the first couple pages of your manuscript along.

Oh.

I do have a manuscript. I’ve been intermittently plugging away at it. But to have it shown to a published author? For a possible critique? I’m just a bit nervous. I mean, no one has seen those pages yet (with the exception a small excerpt seen by Jules and Katrina).

So yesterday I sat down in the library on my lunch break and tried to polish what originally started out as a “NanoWriMo Mess.”

And just as I was getting into it, a voice piped up behind me.

“Excuse me, does your computer get good reception in here?”

I turned around to see a woman standing there, loaded down with books.

“I’m not on the internet, so I don’t really know.”

“Oh. Okay.”

I returned to my typing. I had specifically chosen the library, assured that surely there no one would interrupt me, and I wouldn’t have another Panera Bread debacle.

“Excuse me,” she asked again.

“Yes?”

“Do you have a job?”

“Um, yes.”

“Where at?”

“A marketing firm near here.”

“Do you think they would hire me? I’m looking for a job.”

What on earth? Why? Why? Why am I a magnet for odd encounters like this?

I just blurted out the first thing that ripped through my thoughts.

“Um, no.”

I wasn’t trying to be rude but… I guess I was. I tend to get very grouchy when I’m interrupted from my writing. Maybe I should be closeted away from the world, not fit for human interaction until I’m at a good stopping place and ready to re-emerge into the sunlight once again.

Anyway, the class is next Tuesday. I’ll let you know how it goes.

*Warning: Title has absolutely nothing to do with post but does happen to be the song running through my head today.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

wow. my nano writing has been circulating amongst family and friends (not by my choice) but I cannot imagine putting in the hands of someone who is published!! WOW!! But, set your fears aside and take advantage!! Get some feedback while it's available!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I think I should have let it circulate through the family and friends circuit a bit more before shoving my baby in front of such a critique! But you are right - it will be great to get feedback on it!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

*cold medicine consumtion may attribute to uninteligible ramblings*
It'll be fine, but I give this advice. Keeping in mind of course, I haven't written anything fit to be published but one of my blogs picked up by a newspaper.
Anyway, I'd look at it like a baby. Everyone thinks their baby is cute. Your own children by law, have to be attractive to you. Other people may SEE the baby for what they really are, cute or not. However, no one ever really says,"Hey, that's one ugly baby you got there!" Everyone is polite to each other & later discusses what an ugly baby that is & how sad the parents really think that he's cute. SO, go forth and be critiqued. She'll of course have ways to better it your text. It's not the way she would do it, it's YOUR way. ANYONE would say that. Go into it knowing they'll be things she would change or edit. It'll hurt. It's your baby. You'll walk away thinking she's stupid for finding fault with your baby & you'll go home, give it some thought & realize, your baby DOES have a big nose. ;) hee hee
PS I'm sincerely jealous to the core of this class. Wanna come to my bridge class with me??;)

6:42 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

The class sounds like a good opportunity! And if it helps your nervousness any, don't think of her as a Published Author, just think of her as a fellow writer who is just one short step farther (further?) along on the path to her dream than you are. :)

p.s. Is that really a song? I'm trying to imagine a tune for it and failing miserably.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Katrina-
The song is Pulling Mussels (From the Shell) by The Squeeze. They've also done "Goodbye Girl," "Tempted" (was on the Reality Bites soundtrack), and "Take Me I'm Yours," among others. Very fun group.

Jules-
Thanks for the good advice. I'm not so scared as much regarding a critique; as a copywriter I've had to learn a lot about not taking things personally. Anything that would help make my writing sharper is appreciated. I think I wonder more about having "it" - do I have the talent? That's what ends up concerning me.

But I will definitely keep in my mind that while I believe my baby is somewhat adorable with rough edges, I need to look at it objectively! Thanks!

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home