The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Cupid, Draw Back Your Bow

I have a confession to make: The best Valentine’s I’ve ever had were the ones when I wasn’t actually dating someone. I discovered long ago that, for me at least, the Day seemed to be filled with a lot of pressure and expectations that ended up in a big messy heap.

There was the year when my boyfriend and I planned a romantic picnic. It rained, so we moved it indoors. We both had the flu, but we tried to power through and salvage the Day. Alas, it ended in a trip to the drugstore where we both purchased boxes of Theraflu and argued over what flavor of Hall’s cough drops are the best. (For the record, I’m partial to cherry.)

Then there was the Day Of Darkness; when my fiancé and I broke up the day before Valentine’s Day. Trust me, what you don’t want to do on Valentine’s Day is go down your list of wedding people and cancel the dresses, the photographer, the cake, the ring, the church, the flowers, and so on. Oh, and you also get to call all your friends in the wedding party and let them know as well. Let’s just say Doritos and I began an unhealthy relationship that week.

But the best days have been the ones where I actually forgot it was Valentine’s; when unexpected surprises came out of nowhere, and mostly when I’ve been just content with life in general.

So tonight I’ve got a date with a group of second graders in my Wednesday night Bible class. They are precious (if somewhat antsy) little people, who pepper me with all kinds of interesting questions and scenarios. We’ve already discussed why Jesus did not have a cell phone, how the crowd was able to hear him without a microphone, and if you are a child when you die, will you be a child in heaven? Or do you get to be an adult? Finally?

Then there is one little boy who is very concerned about the fact that Jesus wasn’t married. He asks about it every week, like the further we read along in our Bibles he’ll discover there’s a wedding in there or something that we’ve all missed. I’ve explained that Jesus was 30 when he started his ministry, was 33 when he was crucified and rose again, and so he had a lot to squeeze into three short years. He’s still not satisfied.

I’m sure it will come up again tonight.
Happy Valentine’s Day, ya’all!

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I can't remember a memorable V-day when I was in a relationship, and they've been about the same since I've been single. I don't NEED a great Valentine's day, but I look forward to one shared with someone, doing the things that WE love, not the things Hallmark says we should do. As it was, I had a snow day from work, so I stayed in and watched movies and wrote letters and sent a gift to a friend and had a wonderful day alone.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I like cherry, too. Especially Luden's, which taste so much like cherry lifesavers that my mom had to watch close to make sure we didn't eat too many.

I remember the Day of Darkness. I wish I could have been more of a comfort then. But look at you now! Your life is so full and amazing that I often wish I still had a front row seat. :)

I like Valentine's Day, not just for the couple-y parts, but for the chance to show other wonderful people in my life how much I love them. :) Of course, I can do that any day.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Amy- Your day sounds like one I think most women would beg, borrow, or steal to have - just some peace to do things you like! I wish we had snow days ... Nashville just isn't up to more than a light dusting of the white stuff.

Katrina- I always thought you were a great comfort then. And in some ways seeing what you and Paul had made me realize (even if I didn't want to admit it) that what was going on wasn't right.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home