The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Monday, December 11, 2006

The Garden State

Sometimes in life you are pulled off your normal, routine path and find yourself on a little detour. Which is the only explanation for why I ended up on the side of a road in New Brunswick, New Jersey on Saturday night.

Let me explain: I’m on the domestic missions committee at my congregation, and we have been looking for areas to help plant a church. We found a group of young couples who have started a congregation in New Jersey, so a few of the other committee members and myself flew up there for the weekend to check it all out.

The people and the church there were great – I enjoyed getting to know them better. After meeting most of Saturday afternoon, we were invited to a progressive Christmas dinner that evening, traveling to four different houses all over town. We followed one of the couples, so everything was just fine until, on our way to the last house (the dessert house, as luck would have it), we got to talking in the car and then discovered that our point man Hyundai was no longer in front of us. Calls on mobile phones ensued, directions were given to pull over and stay put, and we had a long wait until our intrepid navigators finally arrived and led us back to the right place.

Fortunately, a lot of chocolate was still available (I was worried we would be so late it would be gone.). But the whole experience made me think about how rich my life is in experiences and what God has blessed me with. When I spoke with these earnest young people about their cost of living and the strain of their daily commutes I realized how thankful I am for my home in Nashville and the world I’ve been blessed with here.

For me, I need to take a step back at times and understand that my life is full of blessings. I got up this morning in good health and put my own two feet on the floor without any assistance in a comfortably heated home. I have plumbing that works, friends to call on in a crisis, a church home that is fantastic, and a family that would do just about anything for me.

So, thanks, New Jersey. I don’t know why visiting your state made me realize how much I like my life in the South and have epiphanies of gratefulness but it did. Now, concerning your Turnpike….

2 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

See? It's not just scrubbing toilets that let's you see things to realize & be thankful for!:)lol

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was traveling through northern NJ on Saturday afternoon...I was thankful at the time that I was off the plane (do not fly when you are congested. Make a note.) but it is true, how much going away can sometimes remind us of all that we have waiting for us at home.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home