The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Golden Hour

The best part of writing is when I'm not aware that I'm writing at all. When an entire scene is playing out in my head and I can't get the words down fast enough. There's a whole world being enacted, entirely for my benefit, and I'm not really aware that I'm writing. I'm in another place and time.

The worst part of writing is when I'm very aware that I'm writing, when every sentence is squeezed out of me. When I find myself looking at the clock, double checking my word count, or staring out the window (I do this quite well.).

I've been trying to write a little bit before the work day begins. But today I woke up to a gray little world. Petty little annoyances flooded in; negative people began talking, and before I knew it, that stupid moose galloped away. :) (His name is Charlie, per Katrina, and he is very fond of cafe lattes.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Hopes he's not one of those negative people...*

2:04 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Naw, you're hardly ever negative. ;-) I meant someone else.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

That's a great description of flow--when the words almost write themselves! Unfortunately, I have a lot more experience with that other part of writing you described...

Sorry about Charlie flaking out on you like that. I really should institute a more rigorous moose screening process in order to catch potential work ethic problems.

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's good to know that I wasn't too negative. I can be whiny about work, though.

But it's all good. Work pays for my house. :)

Go find your Inner Moose and feed him a latte.

6:39 AM  
Blogger lawyerchik said...

I'm so jealous you have an inner "moose!" :) I'm going to look for my own, because my inner child is too cranky and unpredictable to be of any help....

Hang in there!! 9 days down, 21 to go!!

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home