The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

5 Weird Things...

Allrighty, folks. I've been tagged to name five weird things you probably don't know about me.
Here goes:

1. I am a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. I blame this entirely on my younger brother, who showed up with all the episodes on DVD when he moved in. I'm in love with Giles, the librarian. And as trivia note, in 9th grade I went to school with Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia). Younger Bro and I will have Buffy marathons where we shut out the world and cycle through the seasons. Every once in a while, after a particularly difficult day, we will throw one in for some "Comfort Buffy." Hey, it's less fattening that Ben and Jerry's.

2. I must not have any light in my bedroom when I go to sleep. The blinds must be tilted at the correct angle so the sun doesn't come streaming in at 5 a.m. and wake me up. Ditto for lights on in the hallway. I can see the strip of light under my door. Hotels are a big problem as curtains don't close all the way, and I can see the hall lights on. I'm trying to work on this.

3. I've never really liked mainstream music. I grew up on Oingo Boingo, The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order, INXS, U2, Psychedelic Furs, The Ramones, B-52s, The Squeeze, etc. Some of these bands are mainstream now, but in San Diego in the 80s, where Lisa Lisa & The Cult Jam and Debbie Gibson ruled, they were not.

4. I love decorating magazines. I especially loved the ones I got in Scotland because British design is so different. The irony is that I am a horrible decorator. It's a big accomplishment that I even have curtains in my house. I have a mental hurdle with putting pictures on my walls. I'm so afraid if I do then I'll have to move. Or that my "decor" will look amateurish. I've considered therapy to address this situation, but I'd rather spend that money on the latest Real Simple or Cottage Living.

5. I don't know that this is weird, but I'm happy being single. I write this simply because I sat next to a woman in class last night at church who, when we brought up the topic of singles in relation to our Financial Peace discussion, talked about how lonely is must be. Well, I'm not sure that I'm any more lonely than your average married person - and I've been around long enough to know a wedding band does not equal never being lonely again. I can be happy alone, and there is a big distinction between lonely and alone. Yes, I would like to get married some day, but there's just so much I've been able to do because I am single. So many people and places and experiences and memories that I would have never had. And yes, it can be tough at times, especially when you get into all the "coupley" situations and you and yourself seem to stick out like a sore thumb, but it certainly isn't some horrible pit of despair. I think, married or single, your situation in life is what you make it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

#1-I have a series I'm addicted to also that on hard days I have to watch a "comfy" episode. ;)

#2-I have to have it dark too & Matt & I have a sound thing (with the sound of rain) that HAS to be on to sleep.

#3-Nice choices of music!!

#4-You know how I feel about this & you. You are sure to be snatched up by THE guy when he's done being 'grown' by God for ya. Being so well rounded & secure in yourself is what allows you to wait patiently. We won't listen to people who think single=lonely.;)

This goes to show me more & more what we have in common chickie. lol

12:08 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

As for #2, I have a "Celtic Romance" CD I like to listen to. I cannot fall asleep with the TV on. Just can't.

#4 - You are really sweet!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

#1 Ditto for me, only with The X-Files.

#3 "I want the word to change for me! Gotta get away, away from Z!"

#4 I share your lack of decorating sensibility. But as long as I can call my look "eclectic", I guess I'm ok!

#5 How'd you get so wise? :) (I've come to believe the difference between lonely and unlonely people is the extent to which they allow God to fill them up.)

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home