The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

The deep things of life...

It is quite possible that much of my life could be characterized by an ongoing search for a decent hair care product. In an effort to be thrifty, I bypassed my regular, expensive-but-it-mostly-works Frizz Ease Serum for a $2.99 bottle of something called No Frizz!

Normally, I don’t pay much attention to these cheap brands that try to lure me in with their exclamation marks in the logo, but I decided to take a chance. Just to kind of stick my tongue out at the Frizz Ease folks, as they know they mostly have me over a barrel, addicted to paying insane amounts for half an ounce of serum.

Sadly, No Frizz! did not live up to its perky name. It is quite evident it was perhaps made for women who consider frizz to be one or two strands escaping from a hair clip on a humid day.

My hair defies that description. It is quite curly and is never more happy than when it gets to kick up its heels and spiral and corkscrew to its heart’s content. Every once in a while I torture it with a straightening iron, thereby causing longstanding church members to introduce themselves to me and my own father to peer at me warily. “I don’t like it,” was his wordy opinion on the matter.

My mother, meanwhile, merely looks sad, as she has stick-straight hair and prayed while she was pregnant with me that her little girl would have curls (I kid you not). She simply could not understand why I work so hard to make my hair look exactly like hers while she had sought divine intervention to keep me from smooth locks.

That woman has an “in” up there, is my only conclusion on that matter.

Anyway, thanks to No Frizz! today my hair fluffy and puffy and kinking like no tomorrow. It is even a very autumn type of day, with really no great humidity, and it is having the time of its life. No restrictive serums, conditioners, or hot irons for this head. Oh no, only one small clip trying to hold the mane back from completely covering my head a la Cousin It.

It had better enjoy it. Tomorrow, it’s back to the expensive stuff again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Never ceases to amaze me that we as women see "the grass as greener on the other side" concerning hair.
Maybe part of the "meaning of life" is to find that PERFECT hairstyle...nah, that's too hard-that can't be it. ;)

12:48 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

That's right, Julie--before we tackle a lofty goal like perfect hair, we should practice on some more attainable ones, like world peace, and paying off our student loans.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home