The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Monday, September 18, 2006

A Headscratcher for Monday

As I entered the merge ramp on I-65 today, I saw a man standing on the side of the road. He had long hair tied back in a ponytail and held a carefully printed cardboard sign in block letters that simply stated "South." Peeking out from his Jimmy Buffet inspired shirt was a pair of distinctive white IPod ear buds, and he was bobbing his head along to the music.

Now, I know I need some financial planning help, but when your main mode of transportation is hitchiking, and when the entire contents of your life fit into a duffel bag, you have to wonder if perhaps, just perhaps, that IPod purchase was technically prudent.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

I saw a "homeless man" here in Tulsa using a sign for money at busy intersection/stoplight. His shoes were nicer than mine. Needless to say I kept my money.
Once my dad gave a guy who had a sign "Anything helps" a bag of food from a resturant. He scoffed & said, "what am I supposed to do with this?" My dad said, "I thought you might be hungry." The guy promptly hands it back & says no he was looking for money. My dad then taught me that if you can, give food. If they don't want it, they want money for stuff they don't need. I've tried to stick to that. Except when those hottie firemen are out with their boots for MS on Labor day weekend.;) hee hee!

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe he was listening to "Sweet Hitchiker" :-P

3:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I'm not a good person to comment on this post. Given the warmth of my feelings for my iPod, I might just choose it over food if the chips were down.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home