The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Every Monday night I enter the studio, tie on my shoes, and take my place at the barre. My tap shoes are comfy and broken in, like that soft shirt from college that makes the best nightgown. The women around me smile and talk to one another.

I ask N. where she’s been. We haven’t seen her in a month. She grins and points to her barely protruding stomach. “Getting pregnant.” We laugh. The teacher puts on some warm-up tunes, counts it off, and we move in unison.

We come here for one hour a week, each of us dropping the concerns of the day at the door. The elderly mother we are taking care of, the cranky two-year-old, the leaky faucet, the budget that won’t balance, the project that won’t end – they aren’t allowed in here. This is our time, tapping out a rhythm across the hardwood floor, pretending to make the difficult look easy.

In 60 short minutes, we will be ejected back into the world of bills, car repairs, illness, and dirty dishes, but right now, this moment, is ours.

"On with the dance! let joy be unconfined;
No sleep till morn, when Youth and Pleasure meet
To chase the glowing hours with flying feet."
-Lord Byron

6 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Bravo! Bravo-that you think enough of yourself to take the time to push all that other "crap" out of the way & take time for your body, soul & mind to reset itself for another week of life's chaos. :)

9:14 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Wonderful! You make me want to sign up for a dance class right now! I love the Byron quote--it makes my feet and my heart feel light. :D

12:28 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Tree - You should! I must confess I don't feel terribly light on my feet, but it is the best stress relief! :)

7:31 PM  
Blogger lawyerchik said...

Good for you!! Sounds like fun!

5:34 AM  
Blogger RosieBoo said...

How fun! Tap your way to oblivion!

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really want to learn to tapdance-- in all my spare time.

I'm thinking 2019 will be my year!

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home