The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

She Dreams in Color

I had an awful dream the other night about a baby. It wasn't my baby - it was Faith Hill's baby. I don't even think she has a kid that is baby age, but I digress. Anyway, I was some sort of nanny on her tour (Tim was nowhere around), and I could not take care of this kid. I kept trying to give it a bath and it shot out of my hands like a tiny rocket. I dropped it on the floor every time I tried to pick it up. Literally, it was like the baby was constantly covered in baby oil, and I was the world's clumsiest person. Finally, the baby looked up at me and firmly said, "Please stop."

I woke up quite sad.

Now, this dream wasn't as odd as the one where I was being chased by a white rhinoceros driving a red sports car (knock yourself out interpreting *that* one), or the one about Michael the Monkey and the members of Green Day, but this dream was very clear and vivid. So I lay in bed broodily asking myself -

Does the dream mean I'll be a bad mother?
Am I afraid I would harm a child?
How come the kid wasn't mine?
Does this mean I'll never have kids of my own - left to care for the children of others?
I never dream about babies; why am I dreaming about babies? This is my first baby dream.
Has my biological clock finally started the countdown?

And so on and so forth.

I was getting myself very worked up and was just about to call my mother at 4:37 a.m. to have her reassure me that, yes, I am a good person and would make an excellent mother, when it all became crystal clear.

On Saturday I accompanied my pregnant best friend in her search for "cute" maternity clothes. The entire time I was immersed in stores full of expectant mothers and left to peruse shelves of products that, frankly, left me a bit wide-eyed (and not in the good way). I even got to try on the sample "bump" thoughtfully provided in the dressing room, while Christy muttered evil things against maternity tops.

Relieved, I snuggled back under my warm covers and went to sleep.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Ahh! I love that feeling of relief after figuring out why you dreamed something. :)

11:04 AM  
Blogger lawyerchik said...

I had to come back today and tell you that I had a dream that a train crashed right in front of my condo - which is absolutely nowhere near a train station or even train tracks!! :) No one was hurt, but it got everyone outside talking to each other.... Aren't dreams fun? :)

7:39 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

lawyerchik- Well, that would certainly be something that would bring the neighborhood together!

8:33 AM  
Blogger RosieBoo said...

Dreams like that disturb me. I've had a few - some I can explain, and some I can't. And, some right before I wake up and realize I *really* have to go to the bathroom. :)

10:05 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

rosieboo-
Have to say - almost 100% of my dreams end up with me waking up and having to use the restroom!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Ahhh, mystery solved. And, for the record, I think you'd make a wonderful, insightful mother.

It was very weird reading your dream account, though, because two night ago, I also dreamed I was a nanny, only I worked for Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. In my case, the house was so huge that I kept losing the children! I'm not sure it means anything, except that it gives me at least one reason to be thankful for our two bedroom apartment.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks, Katrina! I could use the pep talk after that night!

Maybe there is a theme happening here - dreaming about being a celebrity nanny with difficulties??

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home