The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

With Reckless Abandon


While November is often a time for scarves and Mom's stuffing, it means something else to me. Because November 1 officially begins NaNoWriMo - or National Novel Writing Month. This fantastically fun month is a challenge to every procrastinating writer out there to write a novel in a month.

In a month?
That's correct.

The goal is to hit 50,000 words by the end of the month. There are no prizes or anything like that. No one keeps tabs on you (although you are encouraged to keep tabs on yourself and commiserate with other participants). You aren't allowed to begin writing until midnight of Nov. 1, although character sketches or plot outlines ahead of time are allowed.

You aren't allowed to edit or rewrite what you've written. The goal is just to get the words out - no matter how awful they may be. To turn off that internal editor and just keep going. Because everyone who wants to write assumes that "some day" you will - and it never really happens. No one is going to hand me a six month sabbatical in a beautiful thatched roof cottage somewhere (somehow I've always envisioned my writerly self penning masterpieces - or really marketable stuff - under thatched eaves). So on my lunch breaks, in those precious evening hours after work, I'm brushing off the handle to that little door called imagination and entering another world.

All that to say the blog may suffer a bit in November.

10 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Wooowoooooo! I can't believe it's that time again! Just like last year, I will be persistently bugging you to know how far you've gotten. :D Have a great time, you!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I can't believe it either! I'll try to give reports on my progress. :)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Wow! How fun! Good luck & keep me posted for sure. I'll have to get Matt to throw his hat in the ring next year. I'll have to email you about the new "idea" his friend & he have cooked up. :)

3:33 PM  
Blogger RosieBoo said...

What a novel idea! (I'm so punny!) If the blog suffers, it only means the novel is profiting!!

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! You can count on me to be the annoying coworker who will ask you about it every few days. ;-)

In turn, you can ask me how my paintings are coming!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll try to keep you updated.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You aren't allowed to edit? I don't know that I'd be able to form a coherent sentence with that rule in place.

Good luck!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

anne- To be honest, many of the sentences are rather incoherent!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm giving it a go this year, without having given a single modicrum of thought to a plot, or characters or anything until, oh, about 9pm last night. We'll see how it goes. A former English professor of mine once said to write and write and write and write and write until you just can't stand to write anymore. Then take the last paragraph and use that as the start of something totally new. That's probably how my 50,000 words will be, I'll get ONE useable sentence out of it. But, like my photography, sometimes one gem is worth 23 pictures of crap.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Amy-
That's the spirit! I have only the faintest inkling of a plot, characters, etc. myself. My goal is just to do it daily. Good advice from your professor - it's spot on. :)

Welcome to my blog, BTW. I found yours through Slushturtle once and have been enjoying it ever since.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home