The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

A House Full of Love

In our Bible class this morning, we went around the room and answered the question, "What are you grateful for?" It didn't take me long to find my answer. This Thursday, for the first time in five years, my entire family will gather around the table in Oklahoma.

This is quite an accomplishment. Since about 2001, we've been a bit scattered. I had a couple years in Scotland, where, incidentally, they do not celebrate Thanksgiving. (Indeed, one year I forgot about it completely.) Then my brother moved to the great big cities of the Northeastern U.S. and had some job situations that made it impossible for him to come home. Then there is Grandma Sugar, a greeter at Wal-Mart, who always has to work that day. (BOO, Wal-Mart!)

But 2006 is the year we change all that. Sugar got her time off from Wally world, Younger Brother is now in Nashville in a much better job, and I, well, I'm here as well. Wednesday night we'll pack up the car and drive 12 hours or so. We'll pull in on Thursday just in time to sit down at a table that is not only filled with food, but surrounded by people who love us, who welcome us with open arms. We'll sit and eat and talk, and the time we spend together will be priceless and blessed.

I can hardly wait.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is good that everyone will get to be there. I know y'all are excited.

Have a safe drive!! (Load up on gasoline and caffeine and good music.)

6:23 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Oklahoma!? Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains!? I live there! Where exactly IN Oklahoma are you going little missy & might you need a pee break about Tulsa or south of it?;)Congrats on a family Thanksgiving too! Is your grandmother really named Sugar? Because I had a Grandma Bible & I was SURE as a child that ANYONE that went to church had a grandma with this name.;) hee hee

9:05 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Brad- Thanks! Hope you have a good one as well!

Jules- We are headed to Enid in a super-fast-why-didn't-we-fly-already road trip! Although I would love to stop and see you all, we are on a tight schedule to make this 13 hour drive. :( On Xmas break I'll be sitting in the Tulsa airport for a while so we might work something out then!

I dubbed my grandmother "Grandma Sugar" when I was little because she kept saying, "Come give me some sugar." She's been married a few times, so I never even realized what her last name should be until I was an embarrassingly old age. :) I can't call her anything else and she would hate it if I did.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh, coming home to family is such an awesome experience, isn't it? I am so glad for you and can truly relate to that thrill! Safe travels to you and all of your family. Be safe. Don't rush. And treasure every moment!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I love it when the planets align like that! I can remember the last time all of our family was together in Idaho for a holiday, and it was divine! (Of course, we've added a few new family members since then, so I really hope we can do it again soon!)

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home