The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Thursday's Top 10 - Courtesy of Target

1. Never wear a red shirt while shopping at Target, unless you want to be asked where the Q-tips are and the location of the bathrooms.

2. Bathing suits that make their appearance in March should come equipped with a warning label that says, “Frankly, kiddo, you aren’t ready for me yet.”

3. When I asked for a ball of string, the store clerk asked me, “What is that?” How do you describe string? Strands of jute woven together? It’s like thread, but thicker? Like rope, but skinnier?

4. Wedge sandals can be cute, but unless you’ve got some truly awesome calves and balancing agility….

5. Ever notice that, as St. Patrick’s Day approaches, suddenly everyone becomes Irish?

6. Note: Ireland and Scotland are not the same. Just to clear up that commonly held misconception among the geographically challenged.

7. Ohhhh, Maeve Binchy has a new novel out – love her storytelling ability. Anyone read it yet?

8. Just for the record, Maeve is Irish.

9. I tried to find a baby shower gift bag with two objectives – no pink and no dancing bears. Result: You just can’t get it both ways. I went for the bears.

10. With distress, I noticed that those teeny-tiny-micro-minute-scrap-of-a-fabric shorts are once again on the display racks. At this moment in time, I’ve very glad I don’t have a teen daughter. Or teen son, for that matter.

6 Comments:

Blogger Brad Blackman said...

>9. I tried to find a baby shower gift bag with two objectives – no pink and no dancing bears. Result: You just can’t get it both ways. I went for the bears.

Let's hope they weren't the Grateful Dead dancing bears. ;-)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

2. I don't use the word "hate" very often, but I HATE shopping for bathing suits. I would much rather just buy one off the rack and go out in public secure in my own private illusion that it looks halfway decent on me than to have my brain seared with the gruesome dressing room memory of what it truly looks like. What's wrong with a little self-deception?

10. Amen and AMEN. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the teenage fashion industry to push parents' blood pressure through the roof, and I'm skeptical that that will change before I'm facing those very real issues with my babies. Oh, well--we can always hope the Lord comes back first. :D

2:21 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

I actually read my first Maeve Binchy book last month for book club. It was short stories in her "The Return Journey". VERY good I must say. And I got the little newspaper from the library called "book page" that has an interview with her in it. I look forward to more of her books. She writes well & is good at portraying a character into a real person for the reader.

2:29 PM  
Blogger lawyerchik said...

Shell - Tara has made diaper bags, one of which had no pink or dancing bears - it has cowboys on it, if that would work.

You can get to her from this link:
http://slushbags.blogspot.com/. It looks like the photos are from last year, but it might be worth an email to her to see if she has any. She and her husband were raising money to help with their adoption of a baby from Guatemala.... :)

Good luck!!

6:58 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Brad- No Grateful Dead dancing bears here, although you may have something there...

Katrina- I can't stand shopping for bathing suits either. If there was ever an exercise in self-loathing, that is it.

Jules- Circle of Friends is still one of my favorites from Maeve. It's very different from the movie. Other good ones are Evening Class, Tara Road, and Scarlet Feather.

Lawyerchik- Thanks so much for the tip!!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I can highly recommend Slush's bags - I have TWO!! I read Binchy this past year (um..Tara Road?) and really didn't like it. Maybe I'll give her another shot before I write her off. I had to buy a swimsuit in November (that's what you get when you stall buying one for your December cruise). Having NO OPTIONS at least gave me a good excuse for why it looked terrible on me.

I'm hoping that in a few more years, when my son is a teen, preppy will be in. LOL j/k.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home