The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Friday, March 30, 2007

And so it goes

Saturday- On way to mall for last hurrah before best-friend delivers baby, car makes huge thud-pop noise and slowly dies. Manage to steer it into a Bank of America parking lot. Tow-truckage and mechanic-finding ensue. Girlfriends cheer me up with pedicure.

Sunday – Mechanic is closed. Bum rides to and from church with Younger Bro.

Monday – Bum ride to work with co-worker. Mechanic calls – transmission is shot. Cost? $3,400. Actual worth of car? Less than $500. Tears and panic follow. Call Mom, who calls Dad. Much discussion. Decide to get rid of car and get another used one. Know trusted friend at church who does auto auctions. Call him and give him price range. Go get rental car for meantime.

Tuesday – Rental car company misunderstands my request to only have the car a couple of days and charges me for a week. Cost = $297. Call and cry to car rep.

Wednesday – Old car towed to salvage lot. Nearly killed in pouring rain as rental car fishtails into a truck on bridge but corrects itself at last minute. Saved by God’s merciful hand. Take check from salvage yard and buy new shoes and purse on way to bank. Ah, good news. New car bought at auction – 99 Nissan Maxima. Needs new tires, but that is basically it. Pick up car before church. Like it.

Thursday – New car will not start in morning. Call friend, who arrives with a mechanic. They bring me to work and have the car towed to his business, where they determine it needs a new fuel pump and they replace the old one. After work, Younger Bro drives me out to pick up new car.

New car still won’t start. Call friend again. He comes over and checks it out. Possible it is bad gas. Fill up with premium. Go to dinner. Car starts okay after dinner.

Friday – New car has problems starting in the morning, but finally catches and I make it to work. Friend calls to see how it is running. Runs fine. Starts badly. More head scratching. Still not sure of problem. Cry at work. Again.

Want bicycle.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Sorry. No words of comfort I can give. Hope you like the new shoes & purse.;)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Aww, just being able to share my misery helps. And the new shoes and purse are a small comfort.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Yes, sometimes a bicycle is a tempting alternative to a "faith-mobile". I hope your transportation problems clear up soon! It's scary not knowing what to expect every time you get in the car.

So, did she have the baby yet???

12:36 AM  
Blogger lawyerchik said...

What a rotten week!! So sorry you had to deal with that kind of challenge. I don't know what I would do if something happened to my car right now - I should whisper that, since it has been making squeaky noises lately....

Good luck with the new wheels!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

ugh. I am so sorry. But on a bright note, this post did make me laugh out loud (well the last two words anyway!)

I'd drive you anywhere you had to go - and I love that your friends treated you to a pedicure! Good friends!

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home