The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Friday, March 16, 2007

Friday’s Scramble

Oh, Baby
Excuse me if I’m a wee bit out of puff (as my Scottish friends would say), but the baby shower I threw last Saturday for my best friend worked me into a frenzy. It was the first time my little home made a public debut (i.e. the first time we allowed other people into it). So I had Younger Bro working hard on hanging up all that stuff that has so artfully sat against the wall for oh, nearly a year now. It’s so nice to know that there are more decorative elements for my dining room than an ironing board and 15 pounds of random junk mail.

But the weather was lovely, the house was a hit, and Best Friend got tons of good loot. And I discovered the pleasure of vacuumed carpet and home décor.


Heading South?
I’ve managed to lose about 12 pounds since last year on my own, but there are another 15 or so I’d like to get rid of. More than anything, I want to eat better. So I’m looking into this South Beach Diet thing. Anyone have any opinions or experiences with this? Chime in and let me know.

Literary Aspirations
I attended my “Writing Mystery and Suspense” class with Tasha Alexander on Tuesday evening. She was a great speaker, and it was so encouraging to listen to her and get insight and pointers about writing and also about getting published. She asked if anyone had brought what they were working on, and only one other guy and myself brought something. I thought this was rather odd, but as the woman sitting in front of me took her notes on the back of a shopping receipt, I’m not so sure everyone was in the class for the same reason.

Anyway, she asked me to read my first couple paragraphs out loud, which reminded me very much of my creative writing class in college, and I thought I was going to die of nervousness. But I gave it a go, and she gave me some positive feedback. I hung around after class to get her to autograph her book (hey, why not?), and we got to talking and discovered that we like a lot of the same authors. We ended up walking together out to the parking lot, and she very kindly offered to read my manuscript when I’m done and even, if it merits something, possibly show it to her agent.

Which was a humongous incentive to get my derriere in a chair and finish this thing. And I haven’t been able to really concentrate on much ever since.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

All kinds of excitement there!:) Good luck on the book...I'm sure it'll come to you in brilliant bursts!!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I did South Beach a couple years ago. Didn't like it, but I'll admit, it works. I think any of the 'fad' diets will work at least for a little while. I'd look into it and see if it's something you want to commit to long term. I couldn't. I'm just sticking to whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats and very low fats and sugars. I figure, in the end, that's what it all boils down to, doesn't it?

That is AWESOME about your manuscript, by the way!! Take advantage of her help in any way you can, and certainly the offer to show it to an agent!

7:46 AM  
Blogger RosieBoo said...

Good luck on the manuscript...that's awesome!!! A friend of mine is wanting us to tag team on a novel so we both can get our backside working on what we dream of doing for real one day.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Responding to the last news first: Woohooo! I can't wait to read that you've sent your darliing manuscript off to a publisher! You are a great writer, and I know it's only a matter of time until your name is on the cover of something, or several somethings. :)

Also, I am currently on South Beach, and love it. I've lost 17 pounds since January 1, and have 13 to go to goal. I recommend reading the book if you haven't, because an understanding of the concepts behind it help you more than just a copy of the food lists.

Also, this time I've sought out more support, and have been finding lots of encouragement, recipes, and answers to my questions on this board: http://www.lowcarb.ca/

We do sort of a group weigh in every week and offer tips and help when one of us hits a stall. By and large, it's very motivating, even if we are all virtual strangers. :)

I did SB before, with great success, but didn't keep the weight off because I went back to eating what I wanted after I got to my goal. Big surprise, right? Now I think I'm more equipped to make this a lifetime way of eating. I'm trying to branch out and include more variety and new recipes this time, which makes it a lot easier to keep up in the long run.

Good luck!

11:44 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You all - thanks so much for your encouragement! Just having people believe in me helps enormously!

Katrina-
I will definitely check out the link that you sent. I started SB this week, but then ended up with the crud again, which kind of derailed my efforts as the medicine made me really nauseous and shaky = not a good time to completely alter my food. But I'm definitely going to give it a try.

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home