The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Friday, February 01, 2008

Wears High Heels When She Exercises...

Last night at the Y I had the whole Women’s Only Center to myself because someone told Nashville there might be frozen precipitation. I like the WOC because a) it’s not as intimidating as the wellness center, and b) I can almost always get on my favorite machine.

As I was halfway into my workout, rocking out to some old Everclear, a rather interesting woman came in. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not about to mock anyone who is taking an active interest in her health and making the Herculean effort to get into the gym. But she was dressed rather … odd.

She came in with a fur coat that she did not take off for quite a while. When she finally did, she revealed a skintight black one-piece unitard. And not that I would recommend that kind of outfit for anyone, really, but she wasn’t exactly pulling it off, if you catch my drift. She wasn’t large, just not quite up to skintight Spandex. I wasn’t entirely sure it was supposed to be exercise gear. She also had on black high heels. I guess that was what really threw me. I've seen all kinds of outfits at the gym, even folks working out in loafers (I guess they forgot their tennis shoes), but never heels.

In this ensemble she slapped on weight gloves and lifted a few free weights for about five minutes - this was when she still had the fur coat on.

Then she sort of played around on all of the equipment. A couple arm lifts here, a few squats there. As we were the only two people in the whole room, it was hard not to watch her progress. She discovered the weighted balls and laid down on her back, positioned one between her high-heeled feet, and attempted to lift it over her head. The ball flew across the room. Instead of getting that one, she just grabbed another. Same result. She went through about five balls, firing them off like a catapult across the room. Finally she gave up on that and started working the circuit, still in heels.

She was still there when I left and if it would have been appropriate I would have thanked her for making my workout go so quickly. Seriously, you can’t make these things up.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

ROTFL I can't believe my ears didn't pop with how loudly and hard I just laughed out loud reading that. My mental picture HAS to be better than the real thing. (I think I was projecting an 80's vibe.) ;) LOVE IT!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Wait---you don't think she could be some rich country singing star's eccentric wife do you??? Dang it, you should have waited till she left & followed her back to the institution, er...home.:)

3:02 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

And why would you want to make them up. It makes it so much more fun to know these people really do exist.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

It sounds like she went to the Falcon Crest school of Fashion...lol! Aren't you glad you braved the impending blizzard? If you'd stayed home and focused on your own survival, you would have missed it!

7:29 PM  
Blogger lawyerchik said...

Hm. Maybe she wasn't clear on the "women only" part of the workout center? Or just practicing for going somewhere else? :) Still, too funny!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Katrina - "Falcon Crest School of Fashion" - absolutely love it. FCSF. :) I'll have to remember that one!

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home