The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Look Out Stomach, Here It Comes

Katrina tagged me in a meme to:
1. Name and link to the person who tagged you.
2. Name the state and country where you reside.
3. Name your five favorite local restaurants.
4. Tag others.

So, having dispensed with step one, we move on to the fact that I reside in Nashville, Tennessee, which offers a plethora of dining options. I see fantastical restaurant reviews often but, sadly, am often too poor to partake of their Asian/Southern/Greek/Mediterranean fusion creations. I also do not have a sophisticated palate. Alas, I offer my humble choices:

1. Amerigos on West End. This Italian place serves my favorite meal – Chicken Marguerite. Swimming in a high-carb pool of pasta and scallion cream sauce, with some yummy bread to help sop it all up, is a chicken breast that is always done to perfection. I like to sit by the window and watch all the people go by.

2. The Melting Pot. What is not to love about an entire bowl full of cheese or chocolate? With fun pointy sticks? I’m all there. This place is as much about the work it takes to prepare your food as the gastronomic delight that awaits once you have fondued everything to perfection. It is also the site of my infamous potato-flinging incident. Lesson learned: Never try to force a veggie out of a fondue pot.

3. Sunset Grill. I knew I was in love when the waiter gave me a choice of colored napkins based on the color of my slacks (so the fussy white linen didn’t leave fussy white lint on black) and then afterwards whipped out a little crumb tray to sweep up my mess. For a simple gal from San Diego who was used to eating hamburgers from a beach shack, the staff at the Sunset Grill made me feel like a queen. Bonus: star spotting and desserts.

4. Swetts. This cafeteria-style meat and three in a less than desirable location at first gave me doubts, but one bite of the chocolate pie made me a believer. Go for lunch on Sunday.

5. Cancun’s in Bellevue. It’s hard to admit how many times a week my friends and I frequent this place. But the Mexican food here is good, cheap, and incredibly fast. The wait staff has been around for ages and, if you are a regular like some of my friends, they apparently just put your order in the kitchen when they see you walk in the door. As a real treat, check out the murals on the wall, which feature some of the worst foreshortening and symmetry techniques I’ve ever seen.

And for step 4, I’m tagging Jules.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Mmmm...the Melting Pot sounds amazing! I'm a sucker for fondue! And I love the idea of being a "regular" at a place, to the point that they know my order. Sounds like you have lots of amazing choices when it comes to good food!

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home