The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Friday, August 10, 2007

I've Got Nothing Against Robert the Bruce, But...

If things are a little quiet over here it’s because I’m trying to get ready for a local mystery writer’s conference next weekend. So I’ve been working hard to get my first three chapters up to snuff. You know, to the point where I’m not filled with self-loathing and despair when I look at them.

This has required a lot of writing during lunch and writing while at home and numerous trips to a library that honestly does not hold one book about law enforcement in Scotland but has several about Robert the Bruce. I realize I am probably the only person in Nashville at this moment who is intensely interested in Scottish criminal procedure but come on, not even one book?

Someone asked me the other day, “Are you not finished with your novel yet?”

That flummoxed me. I’m finished with the first draft. But that is the first draft, the draft that is not even worthy to line a bird cage. Now I have to go back and pay attention to voice, characterization, description, tone, style, continuity, pacing, consistency, and so on. Let’s face it – this is going to take a while.

And underneath all of this – of waking up in the middle of the night realizing I broke the wrong arm on my male protagonist because then he won’t be able to drive the car because he can’t shift gears with his arm in a cast and of course the steering wheel is on the other side of the car in Scotland and there are hardly any automatics over there, and realizing that the name I created for my fictional town turns out to actually be a real place in Ireland so that won’t work – is the fundamental fact that I am doing this for fun.

And, frankly, I’m having a blast.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

It is SOOO interesting to hear you talk about all this. It's like peaking into JK Rowling's mind. :) You go girl! Do what ya gotta do, real friends will get that. SUCCEED!!!!! I have some feelers out on the whole Scottish crime thing....I'll let you know. Don't raise any hope in me yet though. heh:)

7:24 AM  
Blogger lawyerchik said...

Just a thought: check the law schools or universities that have criminal justice majors for textbooks on criminal procedure. If they don't have them identified online, they may have an email address to the college bookstore that might be able to direct you. :)

11:20 AM  
Blogger lawyerchik said...

I found these 2 links via Google - hope this helps:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/acts2003/20030007.htm

http://www.scottishlaw.org.uk/lawscotland/criminal.html

12:04 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I can honestly tell you that I can't WAIT to get my paws on your book! Thanks for the regular updates. (And can you autograph mine?) :D

12:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You all - thanks so much for your help and encouragement! Apparently I have not been digging terribly deep! And great idea, lawyerchik - I will have to check that out. I really appreciate it.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home