The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Friday, May 09, 2008

Moving On

On Wednesday night Dennis, my Grandma Sugar’s husband, passed away. He was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure and that, on top of his severe diabetes, was just too much for him.

Dennis entered our family in a rather non-traditional way – a few years ago, he and my Grandmother eloped. After the shock waves died down, he slowly came to be a part of us. He was a fierce bargain hunter and avid collector of all kinds of things. It was rare to walk out of his home without some treasure he thought might be useful to you – a tiny lantern, a spatula that could flip meat more effectively, and sometimes even furniture. He didn’t have much, but he was an incredibly generous man with what he had.

Last Thursday, he put on Christ in baptism, and this week he was welcomed into the kingdom of God – whole, pain-free, and at peace.

“But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.” – Philippians 3:20-21

3 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

I'm so glad he found his true Home! Thank you for sharing this verse; it's encouraging to remember that we belong to a heavenly country!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

We are too! Thanks, Katrina.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

That is an awesome story! What a wonderful ending. I'm so sorry that your grandmother is alone again though.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home