The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Flotsam and Jetsam

1. Has anyone else noticed that all the spring tops out right now look like maternity wear? While I suppose it is better than the shrink-wrapped t-shirts of last season, I am not pregnant and do not care to look like I am.

2. About to head into the 3rd draft of The Manuscript. Yep, it's still with me. I took an almost month long hiatus from it to gain perspective after the 2nd draft. In the meantime, I wrote a creepy short story (just to see if I could) that disturbed my Mother and opened a whole can of worms ... "You don't have friends like this, do you? Are you okay? Do you have dreams like this? I'm worried about you." 

3. Car noise getting louder. Trying to hold out until parents arrive so they can take car to shop and drive me to work. Won't they have a fun vacation! 

4. Lean Cusine's Chicken Pesto pita sandwich does not taste nearly as good as it looks on the little box.

5. There are cigarette butts constantly appearing outside my patio gate. I don't know where they come from. My neighbor doesn't either. Perhaps Hamish is sneaking a few puffs after we've gone to bed for the night? Who knows?

6. The carpet still smells bad, and Febreeze can't fix everything.

7. Every year, I tell myself to resist trying on Target swimwear, and every year they reel me in with an ensemble that I think may work ... only to subject me to a horrifying, soul-deadening dressing room experience.

8. Spring sprang rather spontaneously around here.

9. I'm on a break from my tap class until the next semester. They are doing a routine to "Jolly Holiday" from Mary Poppins and I just can't face Van Dyke's dreadful cockney accent every Monday night.

10. Hollywood Video has thwarted me again. First, they don't carry season 4 of Angel. Then, they don't carry season 3 of the X-Files. I'm going to have to give in to Netflix to continue any kind of story arc.

6 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

I'm laughing about #2--that sounds just like my mother! But on the plus side, it shows that your story was sufficiently creepy. That's important.

#7 Yes. Oh, yes. Me too.

#10 Do it! I was reluctant to Netflix, too, until Julie and Matt gave us a code for a free trial month. I love it, love it, love it--easiest bill to pay every month. (And yes, I just turned Netflix into a verb.)

2:27 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

What is it with you and cars? Every time I talk to you, you're always having car trouble! :)

6:23 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Stephanie- I don't know!! To fair, it is actually running, so that is a plus! ;-)

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Younger bro here,

1. Bring back the shrink-wrapped shirts of last season!

2. Is manuscript #3 the one I get to read?

3. Let me know what they say about your car; mine is making the same noise.

4. Frozen, reheated pita anything doesn't sound appetizing to me.

5. No doubt Hamish is smoking something, but I doubt it's cigarettes (c'mon, you've seen the way he acts...)

6. :(

7. ...

8. :)

10. Hot video store girl aside, I can't think of a reason why we're not using Netflix.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2) Is it disturbing that after hearing how much your Mom was disturbed by that story, I really want to read it?

5) I've seen Hamish in action. I think that if he is smoking, it's not normal smokes you can get at the corner store. Maybe from the guy parked out back of the corner store...

8) Yes. And my sinuses are starting to realize it, too!

9) Blimey! 'Oo don' loyk 'is accent? It soun's perfctly arright t' me! (/sarcasm)

10) While I fully support usage of Netflix, I think I may have one or both of those series on DVD laying about somewhere. I'd be glad to loan them to you (if I can find them). Even if you keep them as long a LB keeps my stuff...

Hombre Queso

2:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oooh, Hombre, maybe we can arrange a Scrubs trade for some Angel/X-Files, hmmmm?

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home