The Far Side of the Ocean

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the ocean, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Psalm 139:9-10

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

It started as a Nanowrimo challenge and evolved from there. My current work in process is a cozy mystery.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Down the Up Staircase

Last week I missed the top step at work and fell down the stairs. I’m not sure why I missed it. The next thing I knew I was falling and saw the concrete rushing up at me. I remember thinking that I didn’t want to hit my face. Then I landed kind of weird about eight steps down on my knees and side and left wrist.

After getting picked up by concerned co-workers and assuring them I was okay I drove home. By the time I hit Bellevue I couldn’t use my left hand. I was really starting to hurt, and when I finally hobbled in the door I was in tears.

Younger Bro was great. He assessed the damage, packed up his backpack for a long wait in the ER, and took me to the hospital.

The wait in the admission area wasn’t bad, but then they took me back to the examining room and just kind of left me there for about an hour and a half. There was absolutely nothing in the little room to read. I hurt too much to investigate any of the cabinets, and there weren’t even any medical charts on the wall. Just me and four walls.

So I lay there and prayed and thought about how ridiculous it was that it took all of this for me to give God my complete, undivided attention. Not the prayers on my way to work or before I fall asleep or in the busyness of the day, but just time to talk to God and go before Him to offer specific people and situations to Him.

I turned out to be okay with a contused thumb and a lot of bumps and bruises, but it was a painful lesson in learning, once again, how much I need to continually make God the center of my life.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” – Phil. 4:6-7


Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

I'm so glad you're okay! You're right--sometimes we have to get knocked down to really look up. Or we just read a blog post like this one and it reminds us (in a less painful way!) ;) Thanks for the thoughts!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I KNEW someone was going to end up falling down those stairs some day. I was always afraid I would fall down while I was holding Hayley. I'm glad you're okay, though! It could have been a lot worse!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch! I'm so glad you are okay!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Ouch my sister!:( Hope you're feeling better. You know what I recommend...watch two David B's and call me in the morning.;)heh

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're okay. that would totally happen to me. :)

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home